One Switch Mouse
If you have very limited movement - for example, later stages of muscular dystrophy - then it can be impossible to use a standard mouse and keyboard, or even a modern touchscreen.
One Switch Mouse lets you control the mouse pointer on a Windows machine using the most limited option possible, one single key or mouse button or customised switch or joystick button. You can move the mouse anywhere, click, double-click, right-click and even drag-to-select. Because you have control of the mouse you can use it to control other applications, like web browsers or media players, and use an on-screen keyboard to type.
One Switch Mouse is suitable for people who:
- Have very limited controllable movement. (e.g. people with progressive muscle wasting, like Duchenne muscular dystrophy or Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS - also known as Lou Gehrig's disease).
- Have reasonable timing on their limited movement (i.e. you can control how long you hold down a switch)
- Are cognitively normal and can operate a standard Windows computer, or have a carer who can combine the program with some appropriate software.
Getting One Switch Mouse
You can get One Switch Mouse from the Windows Store.
- Use a single control to operate the mouse fully - left-click, right-click, double-click, and drag to select.
- Works on the Windows log-in screen and the secure desktop (the User Access Control screen).
- Compatible with any third-party on-screen keyboard, including the Windows OSK, and comes with its own one too.
- Use keys, mouse keys or joystick buttons (switch controls) to operate the mouse control.
- Adjust sensitivity and speed for the mouse pointer so you can control it as best suits you.
- The mouse pointer will accelerate so you can traverse the screen quickly.
- Sounds as you operate the mouse pointer help you control the mouse.
- Crosshairs help you follow the mouse location and line up the mouse for movement.
- It's completely free. Go ahead and distribute and use it as you will.
- You need to be on Windows XP Service Pack 3, Windows Vista Service Pack 2, Windows 7 Service Pack 1, Windows 8 or Windows 10. 32- or 64-bit versions are all supported. Windows RT is not supported
- The Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5 is required, but the installer should take care of all of that for you.
- If you need help, call me on +44 7983 244 131 or Skype me on Alasdairking. You can email firstname.lastname@example.org but you're unlikely to get a response: this isn't my day job!
A review kindly sent in by One Switch Mouse user, Sophie B, 2017.
One switch mouse control is an amazing program that enables me to do stuff that any normal person can do! It does take a bit to get it working and used to how it works but when it is set up it's great!
Some information to help you if your are going to install the software on a communication device.
The only thing you will need if you are using a switch is a program that you can tell the switch input to be a key press. I would recommend if you have a communication device with switch ports finding out what your device switch ports program is. You should be able to set what you want the input to be. The tellus4/5 definitely has a switch ports program that you can change what it does! I am currently using a Accent 1400 with a crick switch box and the input is zero but the crick box program isn't running . I'm trying to find out if the Accent 1400 has a switch ports program. I'll let you know if it has it as soon as I have found out.